- What is the California Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) web based payment system?
The California EFT web based system is an integrated Automated Clearing House (ACH) network that allows payers to submit their tax/fee payments online for various California state agencies.
- When is the system available?
The system is available 24 hours a day/7 days a week. Payments can be submitted at any time through this interface.
- How does the system work?
This system uses the Automated Clearing House (ACH) network to remit payments. The user creates an online payment for the participating California state agency by inserting details like:
Note: Some agencies may require specific information unique to their agency.
- Payment Type - This is the type of tax/fee you want to pay.
- Tax period ending date - The last day of the tax/fee reporting period, not the due date.
- Tax/Fee Amount - the amount of payment you want to remit.
- Bank debit date -This is the date the user's bank account will be debited.
Refer to 'What information do I need to make a payment?' for more details.
- What are the benefits of using this system?
The California EFT payment system offers many benefits:
- Ease of Use - California EFT offers 4 easy "step by step" instructions to make a payment.
- Select Payment Option
- Enter Payment Information
- Confirm Payment Information
- Receive Payment Acknowledgement
- Fast - Payments can be scheduled in minutes.
- Scheduling - Payments can be scheduled in advance for future dates. Depending on your agency, a payment can be scheduled up to 90 banking days from the current day.
- Secure - This system implements a high degree of security to protect your payments. All payments are sent to your financial institution through secured connections.
- History - CA EFT stores your payment history for a 2-year period. Users can log into their account and review all the payments made and their statuses using the "Payment Inquiry" feature. All payments made through other Metavante interfaces like telephone (IVR - Interactive Voice Response), bulk filer (bulk) or through a customer service representative (CSR) also show on this web based system.
- Paperless - This system eliminates the need for writing checks to make payments. Even your payment receipts are stored online. A customer can print them if required.
- What types of payments can be made through the web based payment system?
A number of California state agencies participate in the California EFT system using this web platform
- California Public Employee's Retirement System
- California Department of Insurance
- California Employment Development Department
- California Franchise Tax Board
- California State Board of Equalization
- California State Teachers' Retirement System
- California State Controller's office
- California Department of Industrial Relations
- California Department of Health Care Services
- State Water Resources Control Board
- California Department of Pesticide Regulation
- What are the minimum software and browser requirements to make payments online?
You will need a computer with Internet access and one of following combinations of browser and operating systems
- Internet Explorer Version 6 with Service pack 1 on Windows XP
- Internet Explorer Version 6 with Service pack 2 on Windows XP
- Internet Explorer Version 7 with Service pack 2 on Windows XP
- Internet Explorer Version 7 with Service pack 3 on Windows XP
- Internet Explorer Version 7 on Windows Vista
- Firefox2 on Windows XP
- Firefox 3 on Windows XP
- Firefox 3 on Windows Vista
- Firefox 2 on Windows Vista
- Safari 3.2 on Mac 10.4
- Safari 3.2 on Mac 10.5
- Safari 1.3.2 on Mac 10.3
- Does the system place cookies on my computer?
Our system does not store cookies on your computer. Users will have to put in their login credentials every time they log in to this system. Our system requires users to enter their agency account number, security code and password.
- Will my payments be submitted securely?
This system utilizes the most advanced security available to ensure the privacy of your payment information. All transactions are conducted over a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) connection secured with 128-bit encryption. SSL is a communications protocol for transmitting private information over the Internet.
- What are some of the security features?
- All transmitted information is sent using an encrypted connection.
- Your session will timeout after 20 minutes if left idle.
- Your browser will not cache the information entered and it will not be stored locally on your computer.
- Who can use the system?
This system is available to users who have completed an enrollment application with the appropriate California state agency selecting the ACH debit payment method. Upon confirmation of their enrollment, users will obtain a generic 4-digit security code and will be required to register on the web application and create an 8-12 character password.
- Can a payment be scheduled for any day?
Payments can be scheduled for any banking day up to 90 days in advance; but, they cannot be scheduled for weekends or any of the Federal Reserve holidays listed below:
| a. ||New Years Day ||January 1*|
| b. ||Martin Luther King Jr. Day ||Third Monday in January|
| c. ||Presidents' Day ||Third Monday in February|
| d. ||Memorial Day ||Last Monday in May|
| e. ||Independence Day ||July 4*|
| f. ||Labor Day ||First Monday in September|
| g. ||Columbus Day ||Second Monday in October|
| h. ||Veteran's Day ||November 11*|
| i. ||Thanksgiving Day ||Fourth Thursday in November|
| j. ||Christmas Day ||December 25*|
*If this day falls on a Sunday, the banks are closed the following Monday.
- At what times during the day can I submit a payment?
Payments can be submitted any time the system is available. If you are scheduling a payment for the next banking day, it must be completed before 3:00 pm Pacific Time.
- What information do I need to make a payment?
In addition to your account number, security code and password to access the system, you will need the following basic information:
- Payment type
- Tax period ending date
- Amount of the payment
- The debit date or the date you want the funds withdrawn from your account and deposited in the state agency account.
- Other information required by the agency
- I lost my confirmation/reference number. How can I retrieve it or find the payment I submitted?
- Select the Payment Inquiry option from the main navigation menu.
- Enter the criteria of the payment you would like to retrieve and click search.
- If I have problems using this system, how can I get help?
Contact Customer Service at 1-800-554-7500 and follow the prompts to get to an operator, or contact your agency's EFT Helpline for assistance. Contact information is listed on your agency's login page by hovering over the "Help" button next to the account/identification number field.
- How do I register to make payments through the web?
On the login page, click the button for first time users. Complete the required fields and click "Create Profile" to activate your web account.
- I forgot my password or security code. How can I retrieve it?
Forgotten passwords and security codes cannot be retrieved; however, new ones can be created. On the login page, click the appropriate link to your forgotten password/security code. Answer the security questions when prompted to replace your forgotten information.
- How do I make a payment?
- Select the desired Payment Type and enter the appropriate values in the displayed fields. Click "Continue". The Confirm Payment Information screen will be displayed.
- Review the payment information for accuracy. If it is correct, click "Submit Payment". If incorrect, click the "Edit Payment" button to make changes.
- The Payment Acknowledgement screen will be displayed. Your Payment Reference Number will be listed. Print this page as a receipt for your payment. If you wish to make another payment, click "New Payment". Otherwise, you may select another function or log off the system.
- How do I search for previously made payments?
- Log in and click "Payment Inquiry" on the navigation menu.
- If necessary, enter the search criteria of the payment you would like to view and click "Search".
- When you find your payment, click anywhere on the payment line to display the payment details.
- Can I sort the payment search results?
The search results may be sorted by clicking the "+" next to the row heading you wish to sort by.
- What do the different payment statuses mean?
- Scheduled: The payment is scheduled for debit in the future, and may still be canceled.
- Submitted: The payment is scheduled for debit on the next banking day. The payment may still be canceled if performed prior to 3:00 pm PT of the banking day before the debit date.
- Canceled: The scheduled or submitted payment was canceled.
- Processed: The payment is processing on the ACH network and may no longer be canceled (bulk filers only).
- Paid: The payment was processed successfully.
- Rejected: The payment was processed on the ACH network, but was denied.
- How do I print my payment confirmation?
- When viewing the Payment Acknowledgement screen, click the "Print this Page" button. A printer-friendly version of the page will be displayed.
- Select File/Print or click the printer icon in your web browser to print the page.
- How do I cancel a payment?
- Log in and click "Payment Inquiry" on the navigation menu.
- If necessary, enter the search criteria for the payment you would like to cancel and click "Search."
- Click the payment you would like to cancel.
- Click "Cancel Payment" on the Payment Detail screen if you are certain you want to cancel the payment.
- Click "Confirm Cancelation" on the Confirm Payment Cancelation screen to confirm the cancelation.
- After the payment is canceled, the Payment Cancelation Confirmation screen will be displayed with your cancelation reference number. You may print this page for your records.
- Can I un-cancel a payment after it has been canceled?
No. Once a payment has been canceled, it cannot be altered again. The payment will need to be re-entered and a new reference number will be generated.